The PE programme in Scoil an Athar Maitiú incorporates six strands:
Gymnastics, Athletics, Dance, Games, Aquatics and Outdoor and Adventure activities. Our focus for the 2021/2022 year is Outdoor and Adventure.
Our PE Programme is constantly being updated to make sure we are always providing best practice PE delivery in our school. Our targeting of the Active School Flag has required an audit of our PE programme. This examination has helped us improve our provision of Physical Education.
Here are some specific things we do in Scoil an Athar Maitiú to improve our activity and Physical Education for the students;
- We prioritise one strand each year for further development. This year is outdoor and adventure.
- We discuss each child’s PE development in parent teacher meetings.
- Our staff attend PE specific CPD courses which we think will benefit the school as a whole depending on the needs at that time.
- We carry out a PE audit
- We have carried out an audit on our PE equipment.
- The school has introduced active homework at certain times of the year – Super Troopers Programme and Walk on Wednesdays initiative during Fit4Feb.
- Integrated PE lessons in the classroom through physical activity breaks.
- Ensure that pupils are provided with at least 1 hour of PE a week. However, we also reinforce a message that children 60 minutes of moderate to vigorous physical activity every day.
We also focus on the topic of water safety, especially coming up to the Summertime. We use the LandPaws Programme to teach the students all about how to stay safe around water.
Water Safety Ireland’s PAWS (Primary Aquatics Water Safety) outlines the essential life-saving guidelines that every child needs to know.
Written and designed for all age groups, with beautiful illustrations, a wealth of tips and advice, and all sorts of interactive games and puzzles to reinforce the lessons learned, PAWS offers simple common sense on how we can be safe around our waterways.